Planned Giving & Trust Services
POSITION SUMMARY: Serve the ministry by communicating its vision and mission to potential donors so they may help to participate and fund its evangelistic goals. This will mean representing and effectively communicating gift planning and trust services for the ministry at events, meetings, and with individual donors.
AUTHORITY & ACCOUNTABILITY: Authority as delegated by the Trust Department Director. Responsible for assisting in the functions of gift planning and trust services -- in accordance with the Adventist Media Center and the ministry policies and objectives.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Report directly to the Trust Department Director and assist with responsibilities in the Planned Giving and Trust Services Department.
- Be a Spiritual and personable leader who understands the importance of donor relationships as a vital spiritual ministry.
- A Christian who is in agreement with all 28 of the fundamental Bible teachings of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- One who maintains a close, growing relationship with Jesus Christ as personal Savior from sin and Lord of life.
- One who is able to discern the spiritual condition of donors and understand how to encourage them to greater understanding of the spiritual dimension of estate stewardship.
- One who views the construction of donor relationships as a vital spiritual ministry.
- One who is willing and able to travel extensively to visit donors in their space.
- A “people person”—one who loves people and learning what makes them “tick.” Personable, good conversationalist with a variety of interests and the ability to relate well with a wide range of people types.
- One who knows and understands the workings, the culture and the ministry as it relates to the department, and is conversant with the strengths of its people.
- Be an ethical and professional leader who is certified and accredited in gift planning and trust services.
- One who knows and understands the Certification and Accreditation Standards and cooperates with Level A Accreditation requirements of the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists, in all gift plan development work.
- One who obtains formal training in planned giving concepts and instruments with a commitment to continuing education in the field as required or beyond that which is required by the employer.
- Goal and task oriented—one who is able to meet deadlines and goals. Maintains a high level of self-discipline—a self-starter in making donor-visit appointments and going to see them, an excellent time manager in the use of time on the road and in the office.
- Represent the ministry as a field representative at ministry functions and with individual donors.
- Explain and assist donors with the Adventist Legacy Planning program and process.
- Explain our program to donors and prospective donors, share educational materials on Adventist Legacy Planning with them,
- Assist donors to organize their estate design data, including personal, family, and financial information so the donor may present it to their choice of independent donor legal counsel.
- Obtain asset information from donors, including copies of titles, deeds, account statements, insurance coverage, tax statements, cost basis and market values to be added to the estate design data form.
- Present gift plan illustrations and comprehensive gift and estate plan design proposals to donors, including selected options that are designed to suit their values and priorities and goals; follow the donor through the planning process to conclude new gift plans
- Obtain information to complete Environmental Questionnaire and Site Inspection Checklist for each parcel of real property to be transferred to the Ministry as an outright gift or life estate remainder gift or to fund a trust when the Ministry is considering acceptance of fiduciary responsibility as the owner or as an initial trustee or as a successor trustee of a gift plan in which real property transfer(s) are anticipated to fund the plan.
- Create an “Attorney Packet” by combining the estate design data and asset information described above along with a cover letter to the donor that explains their need of appropriate legal representation and our program of partial or full reimbursement of the legal fees.
- Forward information & documents to the Trust Office as needed for files and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Work with the trust officer to follow through on all administrative aspects of the gift and donor record and file. Provide instructions to the trust officer as needed to make sure all details are properly handled.
- Fulfill performance and administrative expectations of a full-time Trust Officer as outlined.
- Initiate phone, email, hard-copy correspondence and other contact with donors on a consistent and regular basis to achieve:
- 10 face to face donor visits per week average
- 35 face to face donor visits per month as an average, including time away from the job for vacation days and holidays. (300 per year). One visit may be at a Partnership event if a meaningful conversation occurs. These visits may include customer care service visits for existing gift plan donors, in the role of Trust Officer.
- Participate in setting realistic territory goals, develop a territory marketing/communication plan, also a plan to immerse donors in the Ministry of The ministry, and set up a calling schedule designed to fulfill the required level of donor visits.
- Complete the reports that are required pursuant to the framework of the Ministry’s Strategic Structure for the department.
- Must be able to perform the specific position functions as listed below.
- Maintain updated donor records and files. Make sure all donor data is properly entered in the data base so that planned giving donors are properly treated in direct mail as a major donor and Partner.
- Submit contact reports weekly
- Submit travel expense reports at least one time per month.
- Participate in weekly phone meetings – and share the progress and activities of the previous week along with plans for the upcoming week/s
Fulfill other responsibilities and duties as assigned by the ministry management.
1. QUALIFICATIONS, SCOPE, & COMPLEXITY OF DUTIES:
- Education: Minimum of a college degree or equivalent experience. NAD Trust Services Certification is required (If not already certified, must obtain certification within one year of employment in the position).
- Experience: No planned giving requirement but a minimum of 15 years of professional work experience required.
- Member in good standing of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- Skills, scope, and complexity of duties:
- Necessary organizational skills to sufficiently handle the job assignment
- Ability to exercise direction, independent judgment, make decisions and assume responsibility
- Good personal relationship skills
- Understand or be willing to receive training on a continual basis
- Flexibility to adapt to urgent projects or unusual situations
2. INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS:
- In the ministry:
- Trust Department Director
- Manager of the ministry
- Other Department Directors and Planned Giving Staff
- Office staff
- Serves on Gift Acceptance & Trust Administration Committee (GATAC); and Planned Giving Marketing Committee
- Support Services and all on-campus personnel
- Outside of ministry:
- Other Trust Officers of other entities
- Donors at events and other meeting personnel and attendees
- Principal Contact: Trust Department Director
- Secondary Contact: Manager of the ministry
3. WORKING CONDITIONS:
- General Working conditions of an office
- Travel flexibility and travel hazards
- Physical requirements: requires driving, standing, walking, time at desk, reaching, climbing, and lifting (maximum of 50 lbs.)
- 38 Regular hours per week
- Will require variable hours and weekend work
- No special clothing or safety gear required.
WAGE RANGES: $27.71 - $34.39
AUTHORITY & ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: In an effort to encourage an equitable work environment, it is the general policy of the Voice of Prophecy to not consider job applications from immediate family members of employees for full-time positions. Should you have questions, before applying, please check with the Adventist Media Ministries human resources department.